Since my last post, I was laid out with a bad cold for most of a week, and got back involved with an MMO game that is a bit of a timesuck. All the same, I finished two sewing projects and made some progress on my knitting.
First completion is the red version of Simplicity 1462. It’s an extraordinarily bright red in person, more than the picture does justice to. I added a strip of ribbon to the neck in an ivory shade that matches the flowers well, but I’m not sure how happy I am with the overall effect. Like the patchwork predecessor, I omitted the zipper on this one; both shirts work just fine as pullovers and aren’t baggy or anything. I like the shirt overall all right, but it’s nothing to write home about. I may at a later date take the ribbon off and replace it with some lace.
Second completion is Simplicity 2583 in a dark cornflower blue jersey knit. I am pretty pleased with how the shirt came out; on an aesthetic level it is not too unflattering, and on a technical level I am proud of the stitching, especially around the keyhole and the complete lack of visible stitches on the band. The pattern works quite well in knit, omitting the zipper, but the sleeves in particular ended up suffering a bit from the thicker fabric—there is a pleat at the shoulder that results in sewing through at least 6 layers of fabric for a while, 8 layers since I rolled all my seams. The effect of the sleeve pleat is pretty nice, though, as it opens right at the shoulder seam (see right-hand photo), giving a nice continuity of lines.
I’ve also made enough progress on the shawl that I have been working on that it is worth posting some more pictures:
It’s reached 24 panels (one red stripe per panel) of an expected 33, so more than 2/3 done. Once it is done I will post a pattern. This one will definitely need blocking, so I will be learning how to do that soon.